Trimming fruit trees is an art and also a science. It is important permanently tree health, for larger fruit and also convenience of picking. The first developmental pruning done on a young tree will affect its general shape, production and also convenience of selecting through its life. It is essential to maintain these points in mind when you trim your fruit trees. You must check out your trees with a creative eye and also picture the tree in a year, 2 years and also full grown.
You have to recognize the scientific research of pruning to recognize the parts of the tree and also what each cut will certainly do as it expands. A simple instance of this is to understand the difference between a fruit bud likewise called a fruit spur that will certainly bear fruit and also a fallen leave bud that will create a leaf or branch that will certainly not bear fruit. It is very important to know how the branch structure grows and the difference between a lateral branch, the primary scaffolding, smaller side branches and water sprouts additionally called suckers.
General fruit tree pruning instructions:
- Prune in the wintertime when the trees are dormant. Perenboom snoeien are a few exceptions to this.
- Prune out all suckers or water sprouts – Suckers are the young shoots that expand at the trees base.
- Eliminate all busted or infected branches
- Remove all crossing branches
- cut out slim crotches
- Thin branches to permit sunlight and air activity for fruit ripening
- When making cuts do not leave a stub, cut near to the trunk or branch
- Make pruning cuts above and exterior facing bud. In the spring this bud will certainly expand far from the facility of the tree.
- Constantly use sharp devices for clean cuts Hand pruners for smaller sized branches, loppers for as much as 1/2 cuts and also a pruning saw for bigger cuts.
Before you start to prune walk around your tree and also watch it from all angles and also get an eye of what you would like your tree to resemble and also what general shaping concepts you have for the tree. Bear in mind that your trees are living productions and the cuts you make today will regulate its shape for the years to come. This is specifically real of young trees in their developmental phases.